Academic Programs of the Department
- The Department of Arabic Language and Literature was established in 1977 and is one of the largest departments at the Faculty of Humanities. It is home to 15 assistant and associate professors of various specializations.
- The department aspires to develop higher education through producing competent graduates in the Arabic language, literature and heritage as well as critical thinking.
- The department offers BA and MA programs in Arabic language and literature and is aspiring to offer a PhD program. The department is also in the process of accrediting a minor program in Hebrew.
- The department currently offers 124 credit hours including requirement and elective courses.
This program’s vision crystallizes on raising students’ adequacy in the Arabic language, the language of religion and Arabism, and seeks meeting the local community’s needs and providing it with the competencies. The program goes along with the vision of modern education, which is based on integrated education and extracurricular activities, and it reaches out to the other departments to improve students’ efficiency in other areas.
The Department of Arabic aims to develop higher education and graduate students with special competency in the Arabic language, and its heritage and literature, and all that is related to the critical theories, sciences and terminology. In addition, the Department aims to graduate students who can do scientific research, have expertise that distinguishes them, and who can communicate with the local, regional and global community. The Department provides the local community with competent graduates to meet its needs, so graduates have an effective role in delivering the department’s message - spreading the Arabic heritage and enhancing communication between learners and intellectuals and this language. In addition, the Department aspires competition locally, regionally and globally.
The program seeks expansion in its areas of specialization, and strives to prepare competent cadres to serve the community. The program varies its methods to enable the students to practice the language and raise their levels of creativity.
The program’s objectives can be summarized as follows:
- Preparing qualified teachers in the area of specialization.
- Preparing students capable of doing scientific research in their area of specialization, and who are able to offer and justify their opinions.
- Providing students with adequate competencies to enhance their self-reliance in learning and education.
- This program aims to achieve the following outcomes:
- The student should be able to adequately practice teaching.
- The student should be able to do scientific research in different approaches.
- Strengthening students’ bonds with their national and patriotic heritage.
- Keeping up with the movement of modern and contemporary Arabic literature in its political, social and artistic issues.
- Enhancing comprehension and texts’ appreciation.
- Interacting with the local community.
- Improving writing and speaking.
The national and Arab universities and the university’s twin networks with international universities, in accordance with the university’s policy
Saeed Mohammad Ismail Shawahneh
Hamdi Mahmoud Hamad Jabali
Raed Mustafa Hasan Abdel-Raheem
Abed-Alkhaliq Khalil Abdullah Odeh Eisa
Yahya Abdul-Ra'uuf Jaber
Adel Mustafa Ahmad Al_Osta
Khalil Hamdallah Hussein Odeh
Fathi Ibrahim Ahmad Khader
Yahya Abdul-Ra'uuf Jaber